Monday, February 14, 2011

Fighting in Hockey

Fighting in the NHL,
According to a very good song, Saturday night is alright for fighting, however, the New York Islanders decided that they wanted to make Friday night fight night. With over 300 minutes in penalties Friday was by far the most fight filled night in hockey I have ever seen. Now I probably wouldn't have minded so many fights during the game, but it was the fact that these weren't fights, nope they were attacks, vicious attacks. The NHL has fined the New York Islanders $100,000 for the incident and suspended Trevor Gillies and Matt Martin, for the events. Now in my mind the fact that Gillies' attack on Eric Tangradi resulted in a concussion, I feel that a simple suspension isn't good enough, and I'm not alone in those feelings, Mario Lemieux, co-owner of the Penguins, let loose a torrent of scornful remarks to the point where he doesn't know if he wants to be part of the NHL any further. Now maybe that's going a little far, but the only way to create change is to threaten something that would hurt the NHL more than no action at all. And losing the Super Mario would be the worst thing to happen to hockey since the incidents leading to the lockout. Any how, if I continue about this it might get out of hand, and my point may not be clear, and to be clear, my point is, that yes there is a place for fighting in hockey, it adds to the excitement and emotion of the game, but when you attack a fellow player, because you still hold a grudge from previous contests, you need to stand back and think for a minute take a look from outside your box and see what others will, might, could, see and then make a decision. if it still leads to "i'm gonna go out there, and at the first chance I get, I'm gonna knock him out" stay in the dressing room, because you shouldn't be out there, what the league needs is a little more mutual respect between players.
Just putting it out there.

Scott W

No comments:

Post a Comment